Cleveland short term let for recce

Guest Gbye Grey Sky

Guest Gbye Grey Sky

Hi

Myself, OH and daughter are heading to Brisbane for a recce in August and are looking to base ourselves in the Redlands Bay area for the 12 days we will be there as this is the area we would like to move to in 2015. We saw an ideal house for us on Wanted Down Under episode today where the family stayed in Cleveland; dont know if it is available as a short term let. We are struggling to find anything suitable or available on web searches (Stayz) so any info on this or other properties would be welcome.

Guest Keith & Linda

For only 12 days, you will need to look at holiday homes and or motels/hotels, I just googled variants of 'accommodation Redland City" and got some options there. If you gor foe a holiday home/apartment it will be worth haggling for a better rate on the 12 days.

Also some real estate agents do some holiday lets, so try some of them in the local area.

Good luck and ask away if any more questions.

Keith

If you saw a house on WDU in that area its probably 'Redlands Retreat', i remember a while ago she said she had rented to WDU . Try google to see if you can get the contact details.

Cal x

Guest Shelley McGonigal

Well I googled that and it does say it was used on working down under. If you don't have any luck there I can use some of my real estate contacts to see if they have anything. Shortstaynetwork only gets as close as manly or manly west and they are my usual go to people for the area. I can give you some tips on your recce as well if you want just PM me.

Shelley

Guest Gbye Grey Sky
Thanks everyone. It wasn't the house on last night's episode. There are a few options open to us. I was drawn to this one because it appeared to be in the heart of where we are hoping to live, similar in many respects to the type of home that we are looking to buy when we get there, and I really did not expect there would be properties of that type in that area as a short term let. We are anticipating that our daughter will go to Ormiston College and we are looking at Ormiston and neighbouring suburbs in the hope that she would have the opportunity to cycle or walk to school most of the time. By living in the heart of the community for 12 days this would have been ideal for us to get a full appreciation of the location.

Guest Shelley McGonigal
Now you mention Ormiston it just triggered a memory. I have a colleague at work who lives in the area and has children going to one of the private schools there. I will have a chat with him today if he is around and get you some more info on the schools in the area. I remember him telling me all about the differences between the schools one time in the car and why he chose the one he did. He is from the UK but emigrated from the middle east. If you have any particular questions on that subject post them and hopefully I can get you an answer.

Guest Gbye Grey Sky
Now you mention Ormiston it just triggered a memory. I have a colleague at work who lives in the area and has children going to one of the private schools there. I will have a chat with him today if he is around and get you some more info on the schools in the area. I remember him telling me all about the differences between the schools one time in the car and why he chose the one he did. He is from the UK but emigrated from the middle east. If you have any particular questions on that subject post them and hopefully I can get you an answer.

Thank you, that's very kind. We will be visiting both Ormiston and Sheldon Colleges with our daughter when there. Put our daughter down for a place last year but the visits should clarify things for us. Incidentally we found what we were looking for on the house. Wrote to the makers of the programme WDU and they kindly replied with the link to the site where they booked it shorttermaccommodation.au . It was not high up on the google search so we missed it; just need to contact the owners now.

Guest Shelley McGonigal
He said he would be happy to answer any questions you have about the area - he says Ormiston is the one his children goes to and thinks is the best. And there is a particular area near the point that there are many rental properties and for sale around at the moment so should be plenty of choice. At the moment he has owls and koalas around his backyard as he backs on to the reserve. So a lovely place all in all. So for Q's just PM me and I will forward them on.

Guest Gbye Grey Sky
Thanks Shelley. Ormiston is our first choice as things stand anyway but will decide after we have visited and assuming that they confirm a place as they don't guarantee it. We booked the accommodation we were after too so all set for the recce in 6 months time now.

Guest Shelley McGonigal
Exciting times - yep there is a lot of competition to get into those private schools (some of the really popular ones people pretty much put their childrens name down as soon as they are born!!!) - obviously you will be needing a vehicle as well when you arrive (do you have an idea on who you are going to use for this?). Sometimes its good to use whoever your airline is partnered up with to get better rates. The trick is with the recce is to try and spend some of the time living how you think you would live when you come here for the move so that you can experience what it would be like i.e. go to where you think you might work a tthe times you would work to experience traffic, use public transport if you are going to do that etc etc. Most importantly though make use of the lovely outdoor lifestyle here in Brisbane!!!

Guest Keith & Linda

Yes I agree with Shelley, focus more on the real normal home living front as that what the reality of living any where is about, but enjoy the pleasurable stuff too.

any questions please ask, whether it be the Redlands or Brisbane / SE Queensland.

Keith

Guest Gbye Grey Sky
The prime reason that we chose the rental that we did is that it looked like the type of home we might buy in the future and slap bang in the area we would be looking to live. Aiming for a mix of reality and vacation with some on the ground research on schools, property and community facilities thrown in. Thanks all for offers of help as may have a question or two nearer the time.